Wednesday, January 04, 2006

So much for that

Well the best laid plans of men and mice etc.
today I have spent the better half taking statements from witness to serious crime no, wait sorry no such thing, I mean an Indictable offence.

If you read the odd police blog you may have heard reference to the Five part police statement and a good model it is as well. What you may not have had or seen/know of is the part were officers before taking a statement should make notes and then write the statement.

Today for two statements I took 4 pages of notes for the first statement that resulted in a 8 page full statement and the second I took 5 pages that also resulted in an 10 page statement

This took me 5 hours in all to take two statements! HARK I hear you cry how come ?

Well if you want a job done right..
These statements are going to be read by my colleges , boss, supervisors, CPS , barrister and a plethora of people involved in the judicial system that I feel its right to get as much details and clarity in them as possible.

Others would think I have wasted time. I don't think so.
During the statement taking I am also representing the face of the Met police to the witness and victims of crime. Been professional and meticulous is not wasting time in my eyes

So Mr Supervisor who thinks we can "bash out a quick statement , take you 20 mins" go boil your head.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that will teach them to think otherwise.........

Anonymous said...

I can see why you did the official way, but I always say to my probationers that I tutor - "Don't do statements the proper way, cos you won't keep up." Think the last time I took notes was at training school. Sad, but with our work load and lack of staff, all too true

thinblueline said...

I know the pressure thats there to get stuff done and move on to the next call/shout/crime however poor statement taking results directly in court apppearances and the cps not charging for crimes and directly results in offenders getting off the hook.

IF we all stood up and took the time to pt in to statements maybe wline mangers well ease off. I doubt it shame really.

Anonymous said...

Ever heard of a dictaphone?

Investigations - 183 | Crimes Solved- 85 | No Crime - 47
% Detection rate - 46.4 % (Counting year April 08 )


Investigations - 129 | Crimes Solved- 53 | No Crime - 36
% Detection rate - 49.3 % (Counting year April 07 )